The Stroum Jewish Community Center is a 501c3 non-profit agency dedicated to serving the Jewish and general community of Greater Seattle. The SJCC inspires connections that build community and foster Jewish continuity. Our staff consists of driven and team-oriented individuals. Our organization is membership-based; we continuously acquire new members and focus on retention of existing members by delivering outstanding service at every touch point.
Return application to:
Stroum Jewish Community Center
3801 East Mercer Way
Mercer Island WA 98040
Current Job Openings
SJCC Summer Camp Counselor
An SJCC Camp Counselor facilitates and implements educational and recreational services while providing a safe environment for campers. The focus of this position is to ensure that campers have a safe, secure, happy and fun-filled summer.
The counselor is the primary caretaker of the campers. Your primary responsibility is your group of campers. You are responsible for facilitating the daily routine, planning activities, and implementing programs for your campers. You report directly to your Camp Director. The following are some of the many responsibilities that fall under the job of a counselor:
• To know every camper by name, and his or her social, physical and emotional status.
• To know where your campers are and need to be at all times.
• To be at the appropriate place at all times.
• To be the timekeeper of the unit – this includes making sure campers are at all scheduled activities on time.
• To make your unit group feel unique through attention, care and special programs.
• To work as a team with your co-counselor and/or Camp Director, sharing responsibility and authority
• Modeling positive, professional and appropriate behavior at all times.
• To create unit programming and share responsibilities of camp programming.
• Oversee safety and well being of all campers.
• Plan and implement unit activities with Camp Director.
• Oversee and participate in planning of choice activities of assigned age group.
• Maintain schedule for the age group.
• Maintain accurate attendance.
• Keep campers within sight and sound at all times.
• Teach or lead activities as needed. Assist campers in activities when other staff are leading.
• Carry out established camp procedures and rules
• Learn the likes and dislikes of campers
• Share in proper maintenance/cleanliness of camp facility
• Serve as positive role models for campers.
• Maintain good public relations and communication with parents.
• Attend camp orientation and staff meetings.
• Accept additional responsibilities as assigned by Camp Director or Program Director.
Send completed camp staff applications to Summer Camp Director Mark Rosenberg at MarkR@sjcc.org or by mail to 3801 East Mercer Way, Mercer Island WA 98040.
An SJCC Kidstown Counselor facilitates and implements educational and recreational services while providing a safe environment for kids. The focus of this position is to ensure that kids have a safe, secure, happy and fun-filled out of school care experience.
Drop-in Babysitting Babysitters
The SJCC is looking for nurturing and reliable staff to care for children in our drop-in babysitting room, the Gan Yeladim, a safe, playful environment for 4 month infants through 6 year olds where parents and caretakers leave their children for up two hours while working out or attending classes and meetings. Responsibilities include:
• caring for children during babysitting hours of operation
• providing coverage for ill or absent staff members
• communicating with members regarding any issues with their child, payments or closures
• maintain cleanliness in babysitting room.
• high school graduate or GED
• minimum 2 years work experience
• current CPR (Adult and Child) and First Aid Certification
• demonstrated customer service skills and specific strength in working with children
• demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team.
Work schedule includes morning hours and Sundays. Contact Youth and Family Program Coordinator Daliah Silver at firstname.lastname@example.org
Early Childhood School Teachers
The SJCC Early Childhood School seeks qualified, passionate, creative, individuals who have knowledge of and a love for early childhood education. The ECS is the premier early childhood school in the greater Puget Sound, with an emergent curriculum inspired by the schools of Reggio-Emilia, Italy. ECS is a Washington state licensed early childhood school. We search for individuals who desire to work with children ages 3 months through six years of age. Our faculty is comprised of creative educators who believe in high quality early childhood education. Our teachers work autonomously to develop the curriculum around the interests and ideas of our students. We believe relationships are the basis for our community and seek individuals who desire to be engaged in the work of young children who are the work of our community.
Minimum Qualifications: degree in early childhood education, elementary education, child development, child psychology, or general psychology as well as experience in the field.
Interested faculty members should direct their resume and cover letter to ECS Director-Mercer Island Sarah Adams at SarahA@sjcc.org or 206-388-1994 or SJCC Director-Seattle Jenn Magalnick at JenniferM@sjcc.org or 206-526-8073.
Required Certification By Red Cross: Lifeguard Training, First Aid, CPR for The Professional Rescuer (Adult and Child), AED, and Blood Bourne Pathogens
Suggested Certification: WSI (Water Safety Instructor)
Direct Supervisors: Aquatic Director, Assistant Aquatic Director, Senior Guard
Expectations are as follows:
• To create and actively promote a comfortable and welcoming environment where every member and fellow staff are treated with dignity and respect, in a friendly and personalized manner. To anticipate and be responsible to members' needs and requests within reason.
• Show up to work 15 minutes before shift begins.
• Wear proper guard uniform at all time.
• To maintain a safe swimming environment for all swimmers by enforcing pool rules, facility rules, and following the pool schedule closely.
• To take pool readings every three hours and keep proper record (chemicals added, temperature, and maintenance concerns) and report any unusual readings to the Aquatic Director.
• To perform regular maintenance/cleaning during your shift as required by the Aquatics Director, Assistant Aquatics Director, and Senior Guard.
• To open and close the pool as outlined in the staff manual.
• To substitute for fellow staff
• Get your own sub for shift.
• Have a flexible work schedule.
• Shuttle children to and from the pool, on time.
• To administer any required first aid.
• To fill out accident reports thoroughly as accidents occur.
• To attend all staff meetings and inservice trainings.
• To keep written attendance for swim lessons.
• To be prepared to discuss student's progress with parents and/or Aquatic Director.
• To write individual evaluations for each swimmer in swim lessons.
• To assume any other duties as may be requested by Aquatics Director, Assistant Aquatics Director, and Senior Guard.
Contact SJCC Aquatics Manager Andrea Selix at AndreaS@sjcc.org.
On-Call Sound Technician
The SJCC needs a sound technican to be on call when needed for presentations and events our auditorium. For more information, please contact SJCC Facilities Director Matt Grogan at MattG@sjcc.org.
The Stroum Jewish Community Center is an equal opportunity employer (ECE).